Admin Login

Minor Hurlers take All Ireland title

By tyronepro Thu 1st Oct

Minor Hurlers take All Ireland title
Minor Hurlers take All Ireland title

Tyrone…2-12 Mayo…1-10
An inspired Tyrone side came from eight points behind to win the All-Ireland Minor C Hurling Championship final replay at Ballinamore.
After failing to spark in the opening period, they caught fire with a dominant second half display as they put the holders to the sword in emphatic fashion.
Following the thrills of the drawn game a week earlier, there was more of the same at the county Leitrim venue on Saturday afternoon as the Red Hand teenagers disaplayed courage, skill and maturity to win their third trophy of the season, the Adrian Freeman Cup.
Second half goals from John Campbell and Branan Molloy swung the game in their favour, after Mayo had led by 1-8 to 0-3 at the interval.
Tyrone were in front after five minutes, after Peadar Daly and Dearcan O Donnghaile fired over points, but for the remainder of the opening half, they were forced to chase the game against a confident and composed Mayo side.
Bryan Peoples was on fire up front, making a classy fetch to turn and score, before adding two more points as the westerners built up a comfortable lead.
They almost had a goal when the ball fell to Paul Lambert, but he failed to connect cleanly with his shot.
But Mayo did register a goal in the 17th minute, Sam Forde finishing from close range after the Tyrone defence had failed to clear Ross Egan’s long delivery.
Sean Kenny sent over a long range point, and converted a ’65, with Piaras McErlean scoring Tyrone’s only point of the second quarter.
Lorcan Devlin, Lochrann O Donnghaile and Pauric Kerr did everything they could to keep out the Mayo front men, while Dean Rafferty worked hard in midfield, but the Connacht lads led by 1-8 to 0-3 at the break.
The second half brought an almost unbelievable transformation. Now it was Tyrone who were faster to every ball, sharper in the tackle, and more intense in every aspect of their game play.
Lorcan Devlin was a rock at the heart of the defence, while Pauric Kerr and Lochrann O Donnghaile were solid and dependable, and the calm assurance of skipper Damhnaic Rush was an added asset.
Tyrone were winning 90 per cent of possession around midfield, and the scores started to flow.
Molloy, after a frustrating first half, was now finding his range, banging over a couple of long range frees, and there were tidy points from substitute Ciaran McNulty and Daly.
Tyrone’s first goal came with a touch of good fortune in the 41st minute. John Campbell’s effort from 25 metres appeared to carry no danger, but goalkeeper Ryan Kilbane allowed the sliothar to bobble over the line.
McErlean edged Tyrone in front, and in the 17th minute they grabbed a second goal, a superb solo effort from Molloy who darted past a couple of tackles to smash his shot to the net.
Peoples registered Mayo’s first score of the second half in the 48th minute, but they were unable to break Tyrone’s spirit, and Molloy fired in another shot that was well saved by Kilbane.
The Red Hands had the finish line in sight, and late scors from Molloy and Daly sealed the All-Ireland title in some style.
C Tanney; J Kerr, P Kerr, K Muldoon; L O’Donnghaile, L Devlin, D Rushe; P Conway, D Rafferty; P Daly (0-3), B Molloy (1-5, 4f), D O’Donnghaile (0-1); J Campbell (1-0), P McErlean (0-2), J Ferguson.
Subs used: C McNulty (0-1) for J Ferguson; M Farley for J Campbell; L Flanagan for P Conway, C Lagan for P McErlean.
Report from the Strabane Chronicle

By tyronepro Thu 1st Oct

Related News

View All

Main Sponsors

Our Partners